Our research in this field at the Institute for Communication Systems (ICS) is focused on developing fundamental technologies to realise the vision of an Internet and Semantic Web of
Things, large-scale data analytics, machine learning and the application of these in smart environments, including smart cities, industry and healthcare.
The research work includes developing communication protocols and distributed learning techniques for resource constrained devices and mobile sensing platforms, efficient search and discovery of IoT data/services and adaptive machine learning and data analytics techniques for distributed IoT services and applications. The ICS team
has a strong focus on experimentally driven research. Our recent projects in this domain include FI-PP FIWARE, IoT.est, EyeHub, EU FP7 CityPulse (as coordinator) and H2020 FIESTA projects.
(This page only includes a part of the
Internet of Things and data analytics related research at
ICS/University of Surrey. For more information please refer to Institute for Communication Systems' homepage. Regarding other related projects/research in these areas at ICS, you can also contact Prof. Klaus Moessner or Prof. Rahim Tafazolli.)
- Payam Barnaghi, Amit Sheth, Vivek Singh, Manfred Hauswirth, "Physical-Cyber-Social Computing: Looking Back, Looking Forward", Guest Editors Introduction, IEEE Internet Computing, May/June 2015.
- Payam Barnaghi et al., Ian Borthwick (editor), "Digital Technology Adoption in the Smart Built Environment", IET Sector Technical Briefing, The Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET), Technical report, March 2015.
- Payam Barnaghi, Maria Bermudez-Edo, Ralf Toenjes, "Challenges for Quality of Data in Smart Cities", ACM Journal of Data and Information Quality, to appear, 2015.
- Frieder Ganz, Daniel Puschmann, Payam Barnaghi, Francois Carrez, "A Practical Evaluation of Information Processing and Abstraction Techniques for the Internet of Things", IEEE Internet of Things Journal, to appear, 2015.
(Software tool), (Sample dataset)
- Pramod Anantharam, Payam Barnaghi, Krishnaprasad Thirunarayan, Amit P Sheth, "Extracting City Traffic Events from Social Streams", ACM Transactions on Intelligent Systems and Technology, to appear, 2015.
(Software tool), (Sample dataset)
- Payam Barnaghi, Amit Sheth, "Internet of Things: the story so far", IEEE IoT Newsletter, September 2014.
- Frieder Ganz, Payam Barnaghi, Francois Carrez, "Automated Semantic Knowledge Acquisition from Sensor Data", IEEE Systems Journal, 2014.
(Software: See the "abstraction" and "represetnaiton" features in KAT)
- Sefki Kolozali, Tarek Elsaleh, Payam Barnaghi, "A Validation Tool for the W3C SSN Ontology based Sensory Semantic Knowledge", in Proc. 7th International Workshop on Semantic Sensor Networks (SSN2014), ISWC2014, October 2014.
- Sefki Kolozali, Maria Bermudez-Edo, Daniel Puschmann, Frieder Ganz, Payam Barnaghi, "A Knowledge-based Approach for Real-Time IoT Data Stream Annotation and Processing", in Proc. of the 2014 IEEE International Conference on Internet of Things (iThings 2014), Taipei, Taiwan, September 2014.
- Stefan Bischof, Athanasios Karapantelakis, Cosmin-Septimiu Nechifor, Amit P Sheth, Alessandra Mileo, Payam Barnaghi, "Semantic modelling of smart city data", The W3C Workshop on the Web of Things, Berlin, Germany, June 25-26, 2014.
- Frieder Ganz, Payam Barnaghi, Francois Carrez, "Multi-resolution data communication in wireless sensor networks," in Proc. of the IEEE World Forum on IoT, Seoul, Korea, March 2014.
- Payam Barnaghi, Amit Sheth, Cory Henson, "From data to actionable knowledge: Big Data Challenges in the Web of Things," IEEE Intelligent Systems, volume:28 , issue: 6, Nov/Dec 2013.
- Frieder Ganz, Payam Barnaghi, Francois Carrez, "Information Abstraction for Heterogeneous Real World Internet Data" ,IEEE Sensors Journal, vol. 13, no. 10, pp. 3793-3805, 2013.
- Payam Barnaghi, Wei Wang, Lijun Dong, Chonggang Wang, "A Linked-data Model for Semantic Sensor Streams", in Proc. of IEEE International Conference on Internet of Things (iThings 2013), August 2013.
(Data annotation tool -off campus- oncampus-), (RDF Datasets I, II)
- "The Future of the Interent", The Grand Challenge 2015, University of Exeter, June 2015.
- "Data Analytics for Smart Cities: Looking Back, Looking Forward", Smart Cities Convention, London, April 2015.
- “Dynamic Semantics for Dynamic IoT Environments”,
The 7th International Workshop on Semantic Sensor Networks (SSN2014),
- "CityPulse: Large-scale data analytics for
smart cities", EU-Taiwan collaboration panel at IEEE iThings2014,
Taipei, Taiwan, September 2014.
- "Internet of Things and Data Analytics for
Smart Cities", The 12th European Week of Regions and Cities, Organised by
the European Parliament, October 2014, Brussels.
- "Internet of Things: The story so far",
The Conference on Rolling Plan on ICT Standardisation, European Commission,
Directorate General for Enterprise and Industry, Brussels, March 2014.
- "Dynamic Semantics for the Internet of Things", OntologySummit2015, Track A Session - Ontology Integration in the Internet of Things, February 2015.
- "Large-scale Data Analytics for Physical-Cyber-Social Streams", The 4th International Joint Workshop on Cyber-Physical Cloud Computing, 27-29 August, Osaka, Japan, 2014.
- "Working with Real World Data", IoT Week 2014, London, June 2014.
- "Discovering Things and Things’ data/services", IoT Week 2014, London, June 2014.
For any questions please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Last updated: 28/07/2015
KAT: Extracting knowledge from sensor data
Real-time Twitter data analysis
Linked sensor data
CityPulse Stakeholder Report